The International Student Forum

Study in the USA - Where to start?

Discussion Forum for international students regarding study in the US.

Moderator: Annemarie

Forum rules
Our rules are simple:
- Spam will not be tolerated
- Never use abusive or offensive language
- ABSOLUTELY NO marketing or promotional links allowed

PLEASE NOTE THIS REGARDING MARKETING OR LINKS
All links posted in our forums are "nofollow" and carry no search engine weight.

If you wish to advertise or promote a service you offer to international students, please see the appropriate forum for Advertising/ Promotion. It's very simple, fail to adhere to these guidelines and you will be banned and removed - your are only wasting our time and your time!

Re: Study in the USA - Where to start?

Postby Rituparno Ghosh » Tue, 09 Aug 2011 06:09:25 +0000

Thanks guys! Above information seems to be helpful. Have a great day all!
Rituparno Ghosh

Postby b.morales99 » Sat, 27 Aug 2011 04:15:37 +0000

grungekid try checking the other threads.
b.morales99

Postby theaszn » Sat, 24 Sep 2011 10:21:52 +0000

Hello, I'm a stressed out highschool senior currently studying in Baltimore, Maryland.. Ive been in America for almost 5 years now but i am still not a citizen nor a permanent resident yet.
So as I trek through the rigorous college process, I have found that as an "international student" I do not share the same privileges as my American citizen peers. I have found this website hoping it could aid me in laying down my tracks for a better future. I NEED to get into a college that will pay for me. I have a 97 gpa, I am ranked 5th in my class but my SAT scores and extracurricular activities aren't that stellar. So first up, WHAT SHOULD I DOO?
p.s. I would love to major in International Relations or anything International ( i love diversity and culture)
theaszn

Postby ariana » Fri, 27 Jan 2012 03:07:48 +0000

Hi,

I am currently pursuing my post graduation diploma in 3D animation. However i would like to inquire about courses on advertisement management in USA. Which are the best places to study advertisement and does it really have a good career scope in the US?

Thanks,
Ariana.
ariana

Postby zizi.1984.1363 » Wed, 07 Mar 2012 01:58:29 +0000

Hello,
Im Zeinab From Iran.
I had studied Graphic Design in University of my country and now i have an Associated degree in that field.
After my University i planned searching for work,cause i needed to earn money,so i had worked with many companies and now its about a year that im freelancing and im working with Belgium artist.
we published a book named "Black & Byte"in EU.
Then i received an offer from Germany publisher to publish a book with my own works.
Now my own book (is named : "Color & Byte") has been publish in EU and is selling trough market and online.
The website that is selling my book is one of the most powerful websites in Mode industry(www.modeinfo.com).
After that i tried and decided to get out of my country for the situation of my work and to countinue my education.Now im in Bulgaria,its about a week but then i heard about Middleeast and Africa virtual student fair,so decided to try it cause my dream is to have an opportunity to study in US. staying in Bulgaria , is for that i had not enough money for studying in US and i had to leave my country for bad situations.but now im living with my uncle .
I had participate in the student fair from Bulgaria and now i hope that u could give me an opportunity to could study in US,im looking for work-study plan for the high cost of education in US.But i have great portfolio and my works has been published and i have a greap GPA too also i have my documents translated in English,maybe can transfer my study and could study and work in US to pay myself.
I wrote this email cause im hoping that u could help me by the way.
zizi.1984.1363

Postby MelTz » Fri, 18 May 2012 10:06:15 +0000

Hi,
I am an 18 old Guyanese. I am seeking medical scholarship.
I have CSEC qualifications and i lately wrote the CAPE unit one exam.
Is there any suggestion as to where and how I may apply?
MelTz

Postby lola@guate » Tue, 29 May 2012 08:42:51 +0000

Hi!

My 15 year old daughter will be a junior in her High School starting August this year. She is two years away from graduating but dreams about studying abroad. We are from Guatemala Central America. She is studying in the American School of Guatemala which is accredited by the New England Association of Schools and Colleges, and is associated with the Association for the Advancement of International Education, AAIE . http://www.cag.edu.gt/

She is 100% bilingual as the majority of her classes are taught in English. She has excelled in school through out her school years, earning the Presidential Gold Award for Academic Achievement when she finished Elementary and again when she finished Middle School, so she has a diploma signed by Mr. George Bush and another signed by Mr. Barack Obama. In Middle School she was a member of NJHS, and now in High School she is a member of NHS. Her grades usually average 95% and she is in the top 10% of her class (among 120 students).

Next year she will begin taking AP courses. She applied for 3 APs (Microeconomics, AP English & Biology) but we still don't know if the school will allow her to take 2 or 3 of those.

Outside school she practices Show Jumping at least 2 hours a day and during summer works at the stables riding horses (working the entire day to help pay for her sport) because most people travel for long periods of time, so her trainers need extra help. About 3 years ago she was invited to become a Junior Ambassador for Just World International http://www.justworldinternational.org/en/about/

which is a Non Profit Organization in which Rider Ambassadors help projects in need around the world. This is quite meaningful for us because we live in a third world country, and in Guatemala JWI supports a project called "Los Patojos" a community project that serves around 250 children and their families by providing school scholarships, tutoring, cultural programs, a community kitchen, and a medical clinic.

She is still not sure what to study, but for now seems interested in Creative Writing, Marketing or Advertising. I know that she has to prepare for her SATS, and we will work on that during this summer, but we need help figuring out how and where to apply for scholarships because unfortunately we can't afford to have her study in abroad paying full tuition.

I know that some colleges offer scholarships for NHS members, but I am not sure if it applies to International Students. Is it to early to start looking? What steps should we follow? Should we contact potential schools next year or wait until her senior year? What good schools are more open to give scholarships to International Students?

Also, I read that "US Schools That Offer Need-Blind and Full-Need Admission to International Students - under a need-blind admissions policy, a college or university will admit students regardless of their ability to pay, and for any students that cannot afford the pricetag, full-need means the university awards scholarships and other institutional aid to make up the difference" and schools such as Harvard and Yale are listed among those, but I do not understand what Need-Blind and Full-Need mean and if my daughter could potentially qualify for those.

Please help us get started!
Thanks
lola@guate

Postby Mia anderison » Wed, 13 Jun 2012 03:01:28 +0000

crawleyj wrote:Dear Hanasaunt,

It really deonds on how the immigration officer chooses to look at the situation. He could look at it as a great support system for the student or he could look at it as a way for the student to get into the US without the intention of coming home. The student needs to be very confident in her educational plans and show that she will retunr to her home country when she is done. If she mentions wanting to work or in any way stay in the US this will cause an almost certain denial.

I wish her the best of luck!

Jim

Mr Jim i really appreciate your professional advice. This point was worth mentioning that she should say that she is going for studies and would come back after the course is completed.
Very valid point. Since she is quite young she could have made this mistake.
Mia anderison

Postby Mia anderison » Tue, 19 Jun 2012 02:09:13 +0000

Guys i was planning to do GMAT but this year i have heard GMAT format has been changed. New format means less experienced people, whom we can ask questions. I have heard new format is easier than ever before, well hope for the best :)
Mia anderison

Postby garrygerard » Wed, 20 Jun 2012 06:52:08 +0000

To study in USA, most international students hold an F-1 visa, which is the U.S. non-immigrant student visa. F-1 students are allowed to work in the United States, but only under certain conditions and in accordance with complex guidelines and restrictions issued by the United States Citizenship and Immigration Service (USCIS). For more information visit international student immigration center.
garrygerard

Postby garrygerard » Sun, 08 Jul 2012 11:00:25 +0000

America is known as the country of endless opportunities for both learner and working professional. Every year, almost thousands of international students are welcomed to live their dream of elite high quality education education in the USA. Even a great range of scholarships are available to support you during you studies.
garrygerard

Postby lasily001 » Mon, 31 Dec 2012 03:15:15 +0000

Starting with preparation for SAT is the bast option you have to enter into the education world and getting good score would set your career in to scholarship too. You can n use the online portals for that and get your doubts cleared on sites very easily.

Thanks
lasily001

Postby thisisStarky » Fri, 04 Jan 2013 01:53:05 +0000

I'm currently 16, and I want to go to University in USA when I'm 18, but I have no idea how to get the money, because Student Loans in the UK don't cover educations in USA. I know I need to get a green card, or something like that? But I don't know how to apply, and if I'll be able to get one, I've heard it's hard for British people to get one? Any input would be really helpful thanks! :D
thisisStarky

Postby StudentGuru » Mon, 07 Jan 2013 12:01:53 +0000

If you are looking for an international student loan to study in the US, you can start here: http://www.internationalstudent.com/loans/

You will need to be studying at an eligible school inside the US and have an eligible US co-signer. You do not need a green card, however, depending on the lender, you will more than likely need a social security number.

Best of luck to you!
Get social and join in the fun:

Follow us on Twitter - http://twitter.com/intstudent
Comment on my blog - http://blog.internationalstudent.com
Become a Facebook Fan - http://www.facebook.com/internationalstudent
StudentGuru
International Guru

Postby stecla » Wed, 18 Sep 2013 08:36:12 +0000

Thank you for the tips and hints so far! I appreciate it very much since I'm considering to move to the US to study there.
stecla

PreviousNext

Return to Study in the USA