The International Student Forum

Financial Aid/ Student Loan

Financial Aid is always a popular topic. Use this section to tell other students about resources you have found.

Moderator: jfrankel

Forum rules
Our rules are simple:
- Spam will not be tolerated
- Never use abusive or offensive language
- ABSOLUTELY NO marketing or promotional links allowed

PLEASE NOTE THIS REGARDING MARKETING OR LINKS
All links posted in our forums are "nofollow" and carry no search engine weight.

If you wish to advertise or promote a service you offer to international students, please see the appropriate forum for Advertising/ Promotion. It's very simple, fail to adhere to these guidelines and you will be banned and removed - your are only wasting our time and your time!

Financial Aid/ Student Loan

Postby vijay Mehta » Mon, 07 Jun 2010 05:57:16 +0000

Hi,
I am studying in US university since last year and have not received even a penny in financial aid. I filled up the FAFSA application also. The reason for denial of financial aid, grant and student loan was non citizen and permanent resident in US. I am legal non-citizen in US and the application for I-498 is pending for approval and I do not know how long will it take. My dad applied for private loan but it also needed a co-signer and my all borrowed money will appear in her credit report. This also stops the co-signer to proceed because she does not want to have unpaid amount in her credit history for next several years. This affect her life to take loan for herself.
Can anybody tell me how can I get any aid or student loan without co-signer to pursue my study continuously. Please this is important and need a way to keep my study continue.

Thanks
mm
vijay Mehta

Re: Financial Aid/ Student Loan

Postby mackenzie21 » Thu, 14 Jul 2011 08:18:19 +0000

Hi, I am also studying at the university in the USa. I am in the similar situation. I can't get student loan because i am not a resident of the USA..damn it...if you find out something..please posi it...thanks a lot :D
mackenzie21

Postby b.morales99 » Sat, 27 Aug 2011 04:30:46 +0000

If loans won't really be guaranteed, I suggest you try working part time to earn some decent cash. You could also try working as a virtual assistant. I know it would be hard to juggle between work and school but that's the least I could advice.
b.morales99

Postby olatunji080021 » Mon, 19 Sep 2011 05:28:48 +0000

can anyone explain to me how i can get FAFSA pin when an not residing in USA..pls i need a qiuck response.
Regards.
olatunji080021

Postby JenCook » Thu, 28 Feb 2013 09:15:12 +0000

This is a problem that a lot of international students run into. Lenders won't write a loan to a foreign national without a US co-signer because they often have a hard time collecting on the loan if the student leaves the country after graduation or can't get permanent residency status or an H1B after their student visa expires, and therefore can't get a job to pay for the loan. It sucks, because the US often has plenty of jobs for highly educated grads.
JenCook

Postby horatioclyde » Fri, 24 May 2013 06:56:25 +0000

Defaulting on a student loan has negative consequences -- including problems getting federal financial aid in the future. The defaulted loan must either be paid off, or borrowers may qualify for a loan consolidation or rehabilitation program to bring the loan current. ppi claims birmingham
horatioclyde

Postby SamBond » Thu, 26 Sep 2013 11:47:10 +0000

For international students, you are generally not allowed to receive a grant/scholarship which exceeds your tuition. However, check with your Financial Aid office of the International Student Affairs office for additional information.
SamBond

Return to Financial Aid